Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Web 2.0 is not for the rats

I want to be able to make screencasts with readable text for YouTube. Here is an example of a YouTube video from Mike Wesch that has on-computer-screen text:



As a test, I took an existing screencast that was made in 640 x 480 pixel resolution and reduced it to YouTube's suggested 320 x 240:

This video file is a GFDL-licensed compilation ("aggregate") of original work with other separate and independent works as described at its Wikiversity page.

I think text from screencasts needs to be a little larger, but I decided to see if YouTube has an optimized process. I uploaded a nearly 100 MB 640 x 480 version of the above video:

I think the version derived from the large file is slightly better for small text, but not good enough.

No comments: