Saturday, June 16, 2007

Copyleft videos

I previously tested a screencast video that I had made for 640 x 480 resolution. I was not satisfied with the ability of YouTube to show on-screen text that was as small as what I had in that video. Here is a new version of that old video modified for YouTube:

Default 425 x 350 pixels:



320 x 240 pixels:



I hate the fact that there is no control over the thumbnail image used by YouTube!

I wonder if YouTube has any interest in promoting copyleft videos. The Copyright Tips page says, "if you use an audio track of a sound recording owned by a record label without that record label's permission, your video is infringing the copyrights of others, and we will take it down as soon as we become aware of it," which seems to totally ignore the idea that a copyright holder could license their work for re-use by others in the copyleft way.

No comments: